• An official with North Korea's Foreign Ministry issued a veiled threat Friday, warning that Pyongyang could restart ”building up nuclear forces” if the US does not ease the crippling sanctions levied on North Korea. According to CNN, the comments come ahead of Secretary of State Mike Pompeos meeting with his North Korean counterpart, Kim Yong Chol, in New York this week. The piece, carried in North Koreas state-run news agency KCNA, accused Washington of believing the ”foolish idea that the DPRK came out to the negotiating table,yielding to the sanctions and failing to understand that ”the improvement of relations and sanctions are incompatible.”
• According to CNN, Lowes will be closing 51 Noth American stores. Lowes said Monday taht those locations are underperforming, and the decision will help the hardware, chain focus on its most profitable stores. “ The store closurers are a necessary step in our strategic reassessment as we focus on building a stronger business”, said CEO Marvin Ellison, in a statement.
• A total of 30 have become sick, including 10 deaths, in connection with an adenovirus outbreak at a New Jersey health care facility, the states Department of Heath announced Monday . According to CNN all but one case are children with weakened immune systems and other serious medical issues, many of whom require assistance to breathe and function, at the Wanaque Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation in Haskell, New Jersey.
• A newlywed couple died early Sunday after the helicopter carrying them from their wedding crashed in Uvalde, Texas. Accoriding to CNN, the couple, Will Byer and Bailee Ackerman Byler, were seniors at Sam Houston State University. They got married Saturday evening at the Byler family ranch before departing on the helicopter in front of family and friends.
• Former Minnesota Vikings defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd will file a $180 million lawsuit against Dr.Andrews, the Andrews Institute for Orthopedic Surgery and others on Tuesday. According to CNN, the suit says Floyd underwent an extensive surgical procedure even though he was told he was set for minor arthroscopic knee surgery that would sideline him for at most a month. It says the former Viking was negligently given a pain blocker and suffered permanent nerve and muscle damage in his leg.
• “Rihanna does not think much of Snapchat’s apology for an advertisement that appeared to mock her domestic violence incident with her former boyfriend, Chris Brown. The ad, for a game called ‘Would You Rather?,’ featured photos of the two singers and asked users if they would ‘rather slap Rihanna or punch Chris Brown.’ The ‘Would You Rather’ ad was removed earlier this week, and Snapchat released an apology,” according to CNN. Snapchat removed the ad, but the singer voiced her displeasure that the advert was ever posted in the first place. “I’d love to call it ignorance but I know you ain’t that dumb. You spent money to animate something that would intentionally bring shame to [domestic violence] victims and made a joke of it,” the award-winning singer published on her Instagram story. Snapchat will be investigating the posting and has said they will ensure nothing this “disgusting” ever happens again.
#2018 #NewBriefs #BeyondCampusNews